Inspired by royal and European fashion, we fell in love with this soft double ruffle at the neck of our yoke dress, Lee. We attach the ruffle in such a way that it lays flat framing perfectly framing her sweet face.
1. Cut out pattern as directed in pattern, except for collar.
2. Cut 1/4” away from front and back yoke neckline on dress and lining yoke pieces.
3. Cut top neck ruffle 1 3/4 ” wide by 1.75x the length of neckline (fold line to fold line). The ruffle can be cut either on the straight of grain or cross-grain.
4. Cut second ruffle (either solid or dress fabric) 2” wide by 1.75x the length of the neckline.
Cut bias neckband 1 1/8” wide by length of neckline (fold line to fold line) + 1”.
1. Follow Lee instructions through #29. Skip the collar section.
2. Turn dress right side out. The neck edge will be unfinished. Make a mark on the left-hand back bodice 3/4” from folded edge.
3. Sew short ends of each ruffle with right sides together. Trim seam to 1/8”, and turn right side out.
4. Handling both ruffles as one, sew two lines of gathering threads on ruffle, stitching the first line 1/8” from raw edge and second line 3/8” from raw edge. Gather ruffle to fit neckline from right-hand back bodice folded edge to mark on left-hand back bodice. Pin and baste in place.
5. Press under one long edge of neckband 1/4” with wrong sides together. Place and pin the neckband on the right side of the dress around the neck edge matching raw edges. Leave 1/4” of neckband extending beyond back edges of dress and trim excess neckband. Stitch in place.
6. Press folded neckband away from dress (a). Fold neckband in half with right sides together (b). Stitch across short ends of neckband close to the edge of the dress (c). Trim seam to 1/8”, and turn the band right side out. Whipstitch in place on inside of dress with the fold of the band just covering the stitching line.
7. Continue with instructions at step #32.